The ecclesia christian collective

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Whining About The Way

Back from another back pack trip, and feeling very humbled. We make so much backpacking that I believe I was getting comfy with being uncomfortable. I believe I might have got been getting to the point of maybe being even a small cocky. I knew how to pack, I was an expert, I knew all there was to cognize about the sport. This last weekend I got my butt end kicked.

We did one of my first one-way hikes in Arkansas, on the American Bison River. It was supposed to be 27 statute miles along a river basin with beautiful scenery on all sides. What I got was major lift displacements of over a thousand feet in some areas; long, long acclivitous plug aways with eternal humidness and clicks on every portion of my body. They didn't state us at the Texas Ranger station that the terrain was so hilly. We ran out of H2O within an hr and establish ourselves lusting after chuckholes and puddles for beverage water. We even mooched off a set of tramps we met on the trail.

We finally got to the top of a 3 statute mile uphill crunch and were amazed to happen the trail went down just as steeply and then up twice as high as we had just climbed. I believe if the trail and the deficiency of H2O and the clicks and the humidness had been the lone struggles, I would have got been fine. But I hit the wall, not with physical challenges, but with my deficiency of forbearance with others in the group. Two of them were hiking slow and whining a lot. After respective hours of arduous up and down hiking without water, they were whimpering and crying on the trail. One even straight-out started bawling. I couldn't manage the failing in others, so I distanced myself by hiking fast just to acquire away from the noise of it all. It triggered in me a existent bitterness for the portion of me that wanted to halt and outcry as well.

To my shame I have got to acknowledge that these other two tramps were carrying their ain tons and hiking up some of the most ambitious hills I had hiked in my 25 old age of carrying a pack. They were pulling their weight, albeit with much protest. My shame come ups when I have got got to fesse up that the other tramps were my 8 and 10 twelvemonth old sons.

I am ashamed to acknowledge that the wall I hit was not the physical diagnostic test of the hills we climbed up and down and up and down, but the failing in two small male children who were already exceeding anything I could have done at their age, or for pretty much any age.

I speak frequently with my clients about pushing the outside border of the envelope of their comfortableness zone to bounds beyond their imagination. On this day, on this trail, I got my ain envelope pushed. And it revealed a 'me' Iodine wasn't proud of. I inquire sometimes if Supreme Being might not make the same to us. He allows us sit down in our sinfulness or our battle manner past times the point where we believe He should intervene. He desires us to larn to swear him in the process. But instead of trusting, we acquire angry and negative and resentful.

I am much bothered by a Gospel I hear preached far too frequently in our Christian subculture these days. It is one that have at its bosom the message "God bes to do your life better". He necessitates to fill up our congratulations more. He necessitates to do our Negro spiritual life more fulfilling. He necessitates to hear and reply our prayers, and we anticipate large things from him in faith. He WILL bless our lives and give us only good things, and He desires to spread out our district (for his glory, of course).

I inquire sometimes if maybe he just desires to be Supreme Being without us telling him how he should make his job. I inquire sometimes, if we will follow when the manner takes up and up, without H2O and with far too many clicks and way too much unbearable humidity. Volition we take his path, even when it takes to misery? I establish that the lone difference in me and the male children was that I had the adulthood to force myself and challenge my desire to have got my hurting removed immediately. But I was just as whiney and complaining on the inside.

So I inquire the simple inquiry "Does the manner we tramp and the mental attitude we bear in the journeying reflect his glory, or ours?" And if the reply is, when all is boiled down, that we are really all about ourselves, then I inquire "What are we going to make about it?" Whining about the manner doesn't have got to be the lone way. Pick up the phone call to Jesus alikeness and set it in your pack, and larn to walk with it daily, regardless of the cost.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home